• Chris Stein, CFP®

Getting a New Social Security Card

Everyone who has recently gotten a new job knows that part of the hiring process involves digging up that Social Security card you may have not touched in many years.  Hopefully it was in a safe place, but what if you cannot find it?  Occasionally you may need to request a new card.  Here is what you need to know to get one:

  1. Be aware that you are limited to 3 replacement cards in a year or 10 in your lifetime. While I don’t know what they will do if you hit this limit, I would not recommend finding out.  Sounds like a bureaucratic nightmare.  Bottom line… keep your card safe.

  2. Make an appointment at your local Social Security office or you can just drop in. Wait times will vary greatly depending on your location.  You must request a new card in person or by mail.  Since this involves documents I would not feel comfortable mailing I recommend the live office visit.  This is not something you can process online or over the phone.

  3. Bring the proper documents. These will need to be original or certified copies.

Proof of Citizenship – Common acceptable documents are; U.S. Birth Certificate U.S. Passport

Proof of identity – Common acceptable documents are; U.S. Driver’s License State Issued I.D. Card U.S. Passport

If any of these are unavailable they may ask for; U.S. Military ID School ID Card Health Insurance Card Employee ID

You will generally receive the new card in the mail within 10-14 days from when Social Security has verified all your information.  Also, name changes as a result of marriage do not count towards your limit on replacement cards.  If you cannot wait for the new card, the Social Security office can supply you a letter on their letterhead confirming that your Social Security number is in fact yours.  This may work for you while you wait for the official card to show up in the mail.

For more information, please use the play button below.


Podcast: Play in new window | Download

Subscribe: Android | RSS

1 view0 comments

Jim's best friend Mosby

  • Facebook
  • Twitter

Check out the background of firms and investment professionals on FINRA’s BrokerCheck.

Jim Saulnier and Associates | 970-530-0556 | 506 East Mulberry Street, Fort Collins, Colorado 80524
© 2020 Jim Saulnier, LLC. All rights reserved.

Ed Slott Advisor recognition requires an advisor to be well versed on the rules and regulations regarding IRAs.
The advisor must attend two live training sessions and pass two written exams annually to remain in the program.

Jim Saulnier, Registered Representative, Securities offered through Cambridge Investment Research, Inc., a Broker/Dealer, Member FINRA/SIPC to residents of: CO, IA, IN, MA, NY, TN, TX, WI and WY. No offers may be made to or accepted from any resident outside the specific states mentioned. Jim Saulnier, Investment Advisor Representative, Cambridge Investment Research Advisors, Inc., a Registered Investment Advisor. Financial Planning services offered through Jim Saulnier and Associates, LLC., a Registered Investment Advisor. Cambridge and Jim Saulnier & Associates, LLC are not affiliated.